Sunday, February 06, 2005

Cease and Desist - To Be or Not To Be?

Have you ever had a ton of challenges hit you straight on all at once? You know the kind I mean... things that are a little bit out of the ordinary, that normally don't happen at all... when all of a sudden, wham... they all pile up and flood down you in one big long torrent... ??

The weekend started out that way for me.

Doing some casual research online I discovered a site that not only had stolen word-for-word content from one of my retail sites (that happened to be converting extremely well by the way) but he also stole the source code to stream some of the flash audios directly from my server.

Talk about arrogance!

I did the usual things... copied his source code for "evidence" ...took screen shots of his page with my content and my audios on it ...then disabled/redirected the audio drivers as a temporary measure.

I'm now debating on sending out a cease and desist order... or should I let the guy puzzle over why his pages aren't loading properly anymore? Maybe I should just let him stew for awhile?

I'm curious... What would you do given the same situation?

I'll let you know in a couple days what I decide. Meanwhile comments and feedback are welcome. I'd really like to know how others feel about these little incidents that appear to be getting worse on the Net as some people appear to get lazier and lazier about writing and developing their own content.

Stay tuned!


No comments: