Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lipstick on a Pig

I'm sitting here wondering, "Did Obama's writer/handler give him the saying as part of his town hall type speech yesterday? Or did he come up with it all by himself?"

To me, it was reminiscent of the time he brushed off a female reporter calling her "sweetie" -- he never did answer her question as I recall.

In case you're one of the very few who didn't hear the pig speech, this is a short excerpt of the quote as reported by Reuters:
“You can put lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig,” he said as the crowd cheered and yelled and eventually got to their feet.

Now, he could have said: "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... then it must be a duck." --- but NOOOO --- in his infinite wisdom he chose the lipstick comment.

Lipstick on a pig -- ***** -- it's a saying that isn't even on the list of over 500 colloquialisms and phrases that I save in my resources for writing projects.

I won't be adding it to the list.

Why?

Well... quite simply, because it is sexist.

D'uh!

For supposedly such a sharp man (I'm having serious doubts) he sure knows how to tick off a demographic quickly.

Here's another sexist saying:
"You can slap aftershave on a donkey, but in the end, it's still an ass."

Maybe he can use that one in his next town hall meeting.

Sheesh!

Speaking of pigs, here's a newsflash from the Political front lines closer to home:
The Indiana Pork Advocacy Coalition (INPAC), the voluntary membership arm of Indiana Pork, announces its endorsement of Mitch Daniels in his bid for a second term of Governor of Indiana. This is the first official political endorsement that the organization has provided in its history.

It figures. If you've been following my blog at all, you know how I feel about Daniels' pro-cafo stance, giving millions to millionaires.

So if you're wondering if I'm voting for him, I'll answer with another colloquialism: "When pigs fly."

No comments: